Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Why I Am Going to TRI.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

So I decided to do this triathlon as a way of keeping up my exercise and looking at the bigger picture in things. I feel like my life is so much different than I could have ever imagined 6 months ago... however, I need to keep my head held high and remember that things could be worse and to be appreciative for what I have... 2 legs, 2 arms, a healthy pair of lungs, etc. It is just so scary to think how things can take a turn for the worse and how our day-to-day trials and tribulations are miniscule in the grand scheme of things. One day we can think we are perfectly healthy, and the next day find out from a doctor that we have cancer or some other life-changing disease.

Live each day to the fullest and be appreciative for everything you have. I couldn't imagine facing the challenge my friend Logan did when she was diagnosed and pulled through all her treatments and is now in remission. There are an estimated 138,530 people that were diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma in 2008, and every ten minutes, another child or adult is expected to die from one of those diseases. The pain and fatigue I experience during training and will endure during the race is very temporary. If so many have the strength and patience to fight their battle with cancer, then I should be able to fight my day-long battle too.

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment